Are you looking to join the dynamic team at The Athletic? The hiring process at The Athletic is designed to ensure that we find the best talent to support our mission of providing high-quality, in-depth sports coverage. In this article, we will take you through the steps of the hiring process at The Athletic, from application to onboarding. We will also provide tips on how to stand out and make a strong impression during each stage of the process. So, whether you’re a seasoned journalist or just starting out, read on to learn more about what it takes to join The Athletic team.
The hiring process for The Athletic typically involves submitting an application, which may include a resume and cover letter, through the company’s website. Candidates may also be required to complete an assessment or participate in an interview, either in person or via phone or video conference. The specific requirements and process can vary depending on the position and location. It’s important to follow the instructions provided by The Athletic and to ensure that your application and any supporting materials are complete and well-tailored to the role you are applying for.
Understanding The Athletic
History and Background
The Athletic is a digital sports media company that was founded in 2016 by Alex Mather and Adam Hansmann. The company started as a subscription-based platform that focused on providing in-depth sports coverage and journalism to its readers. It began with coverage of the Seattle Seahawks and the Washington Huskies, and has since expanded to cover over 40 teams across various sports leagues in the United States and Canada.
Mission and Values
The Athletic’s mission is to produce high-quality sports journalism that is accessible to a wide audience. The company values the work of its journalists and aims to provide them with the resources and support they need to produce the best possible content. The Athletic also values its readers and strives to provide them with a unique and engaging sports journalism experience.
Sports Coverage and Journalism
The Athletic covers a wide range of sports, including football, basketball, baseball, hockey, soccer, and more. The company employs a team of experienced sports journalists who provide in-depth analysis, reporting, and commentary on the latest sports news and events. The Athletic also offers subscribers access to exclusive content, including articles, podcasts, and live events.
Types of Roles Available
The Athletic is a digital sports media company that offers a variety of roles to professionals with different skill sets. The following are the types of roles available at The Athletic:
Writing and Reporting
Writing and reporting are the primary roles at The Athletic. These roles require individuals who have excellent writing skills, strong knowledge of sports, and the ability to conduct interviews and report news. The writers at The Athletic cover various sports and produce content in the form of articles, blogs, and podcasts.
Editing and Production
The editing and production team at The Athletic is responsible for ensuring that the content produced by the writers is of high quality and meets the company’s standards. These roles require individuals who have excellent editing skills, an eye for detail, and the ability to work under tight deadlines. The editing and production team also works closely with the design team to ensure that the content is visually appealing.
Data Analysis and Visualization
The data analysis and visualization team at The Athletic is responsible for collecting, analyzing, and presenting data related to sports. These roles require individuals who have strong analytical skills, knowledge of data visualization tools, and the ability to communicate complex data in a simple and easy-to-understand manner. The data analysis and visualization team works closely with the editorial team to provide insights and analysis that can enhance the content produced by the company.
Marketing and Sales
The marketing and sales team at The Athletic is responsible for promoting the company’s content and services to potential customers. These roles require individuals who have excellent communication skills, knowledge of marketing and sales strategies, and the ability to work in a fast-paced environment. The marketing and sales team works closely with the editorial team to identify opportunities for promoting the company’s content and services.
Qualifications and Skills Required
To be considered for a role at The Athletic, candidates must possess a unique combination of education, experience, technical skills, sports knowledge, and journalism abilities. This section will delve into the specific qualifications and skills required for various positions within the company.
Education and Experience
The Athletic looks for candidates with a strong educational background in journalism, communications, or a related field. Prior experience in sports writing or reporting is highly valued, but not always required. The company also seeks individuals with a demonstrated interest in sports and a passion for storytelling.
Technical Skills and Software Proficiency
Given the digital nature of the company, technical skills and software proficiency are essential for success at The Athletic. Candidates should be familiar with content management systems, social media platforms, and SEO best practices. Proficiency in video and audio editing software is also beneficial for certain roles.
Sports Knowledge and Passion
An in-depth understanding of sports is crucial for success at The Athletic. Candidates should possess a passion for sports and be able to analyze games, teams, and players with insight and nuance. A deep knowledge of a particular sport or league is often preferred, as it allows writers to produce engaging, in-depth content.
Journalism and Storytelling Abilities
The Athletic prides itself on producing high-quality, engaging content that goes beyond the typical game recap. As such, candidates should possess strong journalism skills, including the ability to conduct interviews, research, and fact-check content. Additionally, storytelling abilities are essential, as writers must be able to craft compelling narratives that capture the attention of readers.
Overall, The Athletic seeks candidates who possess a unique blend of education, experience, technical skills, sports knowledge, and journalism abilities. By meeting these qualifications and demonstrating a passion for sports and storytelling, candidates can position themselves for success in the dynamic world of sports media.
The Application Process
Finding Job Openings
Finding job openings at The Athletic is the first step in the application process. Here are some tips to help you find the right job opening:
Company careers page
The Athletic has a dedicated careers page on its website where you can find all the latest job openings. This is a great place to start your search as it’s the official source for all job opportunities within the company. On the careers page, you can filter jobs by location, department, and job type. You can also learn more about the company culture and values, and read about the experiences of current employees.
Job search websites
In addition to the company careers page, you can also find job openings at The Athletic on popular job search websites such as LinkedIn, Glassdoor, and Indeed. These websites allow you to search for jobs based on keywords, location, and other criteria. You can also set up job alerts to receive notifications when new job openings become available.
Social media channels
The Athletic also posts job openings on its social media channels, including Twitter and LinkedIn. Following the company’s social media accounts can help you stay up-to-date on the latest job opportunities and company news. You can also use social media to research the company and learn more about its culture and values.
Applying for a Position
When applying for a position at The Athletic, there are several steps you need to follow to ensure your application is considered. These steps include:
- Creating a profile and submitting a resume: The first step in the application process is to create a profile on The Athletic’s website. This profile will serve as your online presence with the company and will be used to store your resume and other relevant information. Once you have created your profile, you can then submit your resume and any other relevant materials, such as writing samples or portfolio links.
- Tailoring cover letters and submitting work samples: In addition to your resume, it’s important to also submit a tailored cover letter that demonstrates your interest in the position and your qualifications for the role. Your cover letter should be specific to the job you are applying for and should highlight your relevant skills and experience. Additionally, you may also be asked to submit work samples, such as articles or blog posts, to showcase your writing abilities.
- Following up and networking: After you have submitted your application, it’s important to follow up with the hiring team to ensure they received your materials and to express your continued interest in the position. Additionally, networking with current employees or industry professionals can also be a helpful way to learn more about the company and increase your chances of being hired.
Preparing for Interviews
Preparing for interviews is a crucial step in the hiring process for The Athletic. It is essential to take the time to research the company and the role you are applying for, practice common interview questions, and demonstrate enthusiasm and passion.
Researching the Company and the Role
Researching the company and the role is the first step in preparing for interviews at The Athletic. This includes familiarizing yourself with the company’s mission, values, and products. It is also important to research the specific role you are applying for, including the responsibilities, qualifications, and expectations for the position. This information can be found on the company’s website, job description, and other online resources.
Practicing Common Interview Questions
Practicing common interview questions is another important step in preparing for interviews at The Athletic. It is essential to anticipate and prepare for common interview questions, such as “Tell me about yourself,” “Why do you want to work for this company?” and “What are your strengths and weaknesses?” Practicing these questions with a friend or family member can help you feel more confident and prepared during the interview.
Demonstrating Enthusiasm and Passion
Demonstrating enthusiasm and passion is a critical aspect of the interview process at The Athletic. The company values employees who are passionate about their work and enthusiastic about the company’s mission. It is important to show your enthusiasm and passion for the role and the company during the interview. This can be done by highlighting your relevant experience, sharing your excitement about the company’s products or services, and expressing your interest in the company’s mission and values.
Overall, preparing for interviews at The Athletic requires researching the company and the role, practicing common interview questions, and demonstrating enthusiasm and passion. By following these steps, you can increase your chances of success in the hiring process and secure a position at this innovative company.
Additional Steps for Writers and Reporters
Pitching Story Ideas and Demonstrating Writing Skills
- Applicants are expected to provide a list of story ideas that align with The Athletic’s editorial focus and demonstrate their understanding of the platform’s audience.
- These ideas should be well-researched and demonstrate the applicant’s knowledge of the sports industry and current events.
- Writing samples or clips should also be provided to showcase the applicant’s writing style and abilities.
Providing Clips and References
- Clips or writing samples should be provided to showcase the applicant’s writing style and abilities.
- References from previous employers or colleagues can also be requested to provide insight into the applicant’s work ethic and abilities.
Meeting with Editors and Discussing Assignment Expectations
- Applicants may be required to meet with editors to discuss their experience, skills, and expectations for future assignments.
- This meeting provides an opportunity for the applicant to ask questions about the company’s editorial policies and the role they would play as a writer or reporter.
- The editor may also provide feedback on the applicant’s writing samples and offer suggestions for improvement.
The Hiring Process at The Athletic
Relevant Experience and Skills
The Athletic places significant emphasis on the candidate’s experience and skills relevant to the position they are applying for. The hiring team evaluates the applicant’s background in sports journalism, as well as their proficiency in various media platforms and tools. Additionally, the ability to meet deadlines and work under pressure is highly valued.
Passion for Sports and Journalism
A strong passion for sports and journalism is a crucial aspect of the evaluation criteria at The Athletic. The hiring team looks for candidates who are not only knowledgeable about their respective sports but are also enthusiastic about reporting and writing about them. This passion is seen as an essential element in producing high-quality content that resonates with the publication’s audience.
Cultural Fit and Team Dynamics
The Athletic places great importance on finding candidates who will fit well within the company’s culture and contribute positively to the team dynamic. The hiring team considers factors such as communication skills, adaptability, and the ability to collaborate effectively with colleagues. Candidates who demonstrate a willingness to learn and grow within the organization are also highly valued.
Timeline and Communication
The timeline and communication during the hiring process at The Athletic are critical components that contribute to a positive candidate experience. Candidates expect timely responses and clear communication throughout the hiring process. Below are some details regarding the timeline and communication at The Athletic:
Response times and updates
- The Athletic strives to provide prompt responses to candidate inquiries and updates on the status of their application.
- Candidates should expect to receive acknowledgment of their application within a few days after submission.
- If a candidate advances to the next stage of the hiring process, they will receive timely updates on the status of their application and what to expect next.
Feedback and constructive criticism
- Candidates appreciate receiving feedback and constructive criticism during the hiring process.
- The Athletic provides candidates with constructive feedback to help them improve their performance and showcase their skills.
- Candidates should take advantage of the feedback provided to refine their skills and increase their chances of being hired.
Next steps and negotiations
- Candidates who advance to the final stages of the hiring process will receive information on the next steps, including any additional interviews or assessments.
- The Athletic may provide candidates with a job offer and negotiate compensation and benefits packages.
- Candidates should be prepared to negotiate their compensation and benefits packages to ensure they receive fair and competitive offers.
Overall, The Athletic values timely and clear communication throughout the hiring process. Candidates should expect prompt responses and feedback to keep them informed and engaged.
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
Commitment to a Diverse Workforce
The Athletic is committed to building a diverse workforce that reflects the communities they serve. They recognize that diversity in the workplace brings different perspectives, ideas, and experiences that can lead to better decision-making and a more inclusive culture.
Efforts to Create a Welcoming and Inclusive Environment
The Athletic strives to create a welcoming and inclusive environment for all employees. They have implemented several initiatives to promote diversity, equity, and inclusion, such as:
- Employee resource groups (ERGs) that focus on different aspects of diversity, such as race, gender, and sexual orientation.
- Training programs that educate employees on topics related to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Policies and practices that promote fairness and equality in the workplace, such as pay equity and flexible work arrangements.
Opportunities for Growth and Development
The Athletic recognizes that diversity, equity, and inclusion are not just buzzwords, but essential components of a successful and thriving organization. They are committed to providing opportunities for growth and development for all employees, regardless of their background or identity.
They offer a range of programs and initiatives that support professional development, such as:
- Mentorship programs that pair employees with more experienced colleagues.
- Leadership training programs that help employees develop the skills they need to advance in their careers.
- Career development resources that help employees identify and pursue opportunities for growth and advancement.
Overall, The Athletic is committed to creating a workplace culture that values diversity, equity, and inclusion, and provides opportunities for all employees to grow and thrive.
1. What is The Athletic?
The Athletic is a digital subscription service that provides in-depth sports coverage and analysis to its subscribers. It covers a wide range of sports leagues and teams across the United States and Canada.
2. What types of positions are available at The Athletic?
The Athletic hires writers, editors, designers, developers, and other professionals in various fields such as marketing, sales, and customer service.
3. How can I apply for a job at The Athletic?
You can apply for a job at The Athletic by visiting their website and searching for open positions. You can also submit your resume and cover letter to the company’s HR department.
4. What should I include in my application?
Your application should include a resume, cover letter, and any other relevant documents that demonstrate your skills and experience. Make sure to tailor your application to the specific position you are applying for.
5. What is the interview process like at The Athletic?
The interview process at The Athletic typically includes a phone or video interview with a member of the HR team, followed by an interview with the hiring manager. You may also be asked to complete a writing or skills assessment.
6. How long does the hiring process take?
The hiring process at The Athletic can vary depending on the position and the number of applicants. It can take several weeks or even months from the time you submit your application to receiving a final decision.
7. Is The Athletic an equal opportunity employer?
Yes, The Athletic is committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace and is an equal opportunity employer. They do not discriminate based on race, gender, sexual orientation, age, religion, or any other protected characteristic.